Thursday, April 26, 2012

Funny things happening in 4th grade ...

Sometimes my kids just do things that make me want to laugh uncontrollably. Of course I hold it in, but it would be fun, just once, to burst out...
I digress ...so my kiddos did some funny things this week. In social studies, we are learning the states and capitals. Earlier in the week they were taking a quiz on the northeast states. See if you can pick out the imposter state in this picture:

Yep, apparently New Hampshire is now being referred to as New Hampster ...

In writing, we are also focusing on our states. Each of my students is researching one of the 50 states and writing an informational essay. Now, our big focus this year has been on banning boring words. We make a huge joke of it. So, of course the thesaurus is one of our best friends. I tried to explain to them that you can't pick every word listed under a list word. They don't all translate into the exact meaning you want. The picture below proves my point very well:



He wanted to say, that if you go to New Jersey in the winter or fall, you should pack warm clothing. Well, in the thesaurus he found sultry, and there you have his new sentence.  
By definition, sultry means hot and humid, or hot with passion. Imagine trying to explain to a ten year old why this word does not quite mean the warm he was looking for ... 

I think that is one thing I love about my job. There is never a dull moment in the life of an educator! What is your funniest classroom moment?

No comments:

Post a Comment