Thursday, March 19, 2015

Greek Mythology - Part 2 TEACHING RL 4.4

I don't know about your class, but my students LOVE Greek Mythology. Thanks goodness, because teaching words and phrases derived from these stories is part of the CCSS for 4th grade.
I made a set with stories and activities last year to help teach my unit. You can find it in my TpT shop by clicking on the image below.
Mythology Mega Pack
 This set includes 10 myths for the following gods/godesses and heros, etc: Zeus, Icarus, Athena, Hercules, King Midas, Medusa,Odysseus, Orpheus, Pandora, Achilles 

I also love to do center activities during reading time. Centers are a great way to engage students in meaningful work while still letting them have a little fun. It also helps to give them something engaging to do while I work in guided reading groups. So, I decided to make a center set to go with the Greek Myths.  Find it in my store by clicking the picture. 
https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Greek-Mythology-Centers-CCSS-Based-Learning-RL-44-1155637
There set has posters and activities to learn about some popular mythological sayings: Herculean Effort, A Titan, Opening Pandora's Box, Beware of Greeks Bearing Gifts, Achilles Heel, The Midas Touch, A Face that Launched a Thousand Ships, Caught Between Scylla & Charybdis, An Odyssey, If Looks Could Kill, A Trojan Horse, Food of the Gods
It also has 3 center activities:
1. Mythological Memory 
2. Mythological Creative Writing
3. Mythological Root Words

My students really enjoyed reading the myths and finding out the meaning behind popular sayings. I'd say it's their favorite unit of the whole year (though Tall Tales come in at a close 2nd!)
We start this unit on Monday after finishing up our traditional literature unit by comparing and contrasting the versions of Cinderella we've read. The kids are excited! But, I decided there were other myths I'd really like them to read. So, I got back to work and spent (way to many) hours creating a part 2 to my Mythology set. 
Here is the link from my TpT shop if you want to check it out: Greek Mythology Mega Pack Part 2

This set includes the myths of Aphrodite, Arachne, Demeter, Dionysus, Hades, Hephaestus, Hera, Hermes, Persephone, and Poseidon. 
I'm really excited to roll out these stories this year. I have my bulletin board all ready with my posters and I Can Statements.

No comments:

Post a Comment